Frequently Asked Questions
[home - contents - FAQ - software]
- What is Digit Mania?
- What is it?
- Who runs Digit Mania?
- Who pays for Digit Mania?
- Are the digit sets free?
- How do I contribute to the collection?
- How do I install a counter?
- How do I pick a counter?
- What is a hosted counter?
- What is an HTTP server?
What is Digit Mania?
What is it?
- This is a collection of digits which may be used freely, by anyone capable of
Who runs Digit Mania?
- Kevin Athey
- You may contact him at kda-digitmania (at) birdbrain (dot) net.
Who pays for Digit Mania?
- First and foremost, HoloWWW provides the webspace
and T3 connection at no charge. We are very grateful for their kind contribution.
- Kevin Athey pays for the connection from his house to the internet so that he
can stay in touch and update the site and process new additions.
- Advertisers. Ad Space Info.
Are the digit sets free?
- Every effort has been made to contact the artists in all cases, and all who have responded
have agreed to have their work given away. Please, when possible let them know you are using their
digits. They like to know that their work is useful.
- Please, if possible, give credit to the artist on your web page. You may simply copy the credits
which I have listed.
- This is a free site.
How do I contribute to the collection?
- Submission Rules
- Before sending the digits to me, be sure they are in one of the following formats:
- Each digit in its own GIF (You may ZIP them all together).
- A single GIF strip as long as each digit is exactly the same width.
- A single GIF strip which includes a comment which specifies where each digit starts. (If you don't understand what this means, just chose one of the above methods.)
- Include the following either in the email or in a text file on the ftp site:
- The name of the font.
- Your name.
- Your email.
- A web page which you would want your credit linked to.
- Agree to having your digits given away for free.
- email (kda-digitmania (at) birdbrain (dot) net): The easiest way is to email them to me.
I can handle nearly every kind of attachment (MIME, uuencode, BinHex).
- ftp: There is now an upload location available via FTP.
- The server is ftp.digitmania.com.
- Upload to the /pub/uploads directory.
- You won't be able to see the files after you have uploaded them.
How do I install a counter?
How do I pick a counter?
- There are two places a counter may run.
- On the same machine your HTML page is served from.
- On another HTTP server (Highly recommended for novices).
- If you wish to run the counter on your HTTP server.
- Then you must have three things (okay, maybe four).
- You must know what Operating System your HTTP server is running.
- Experience with CGI (or a willingness to learn).
- Access to the directory on the HTTP server where scripts are installed.
- I also highly recommend you know what HTTP server is being run at your site.
- Proceed to the Software page and select a counter appropriate for
your Operating System.
- Follow the link to the home site for that counter implementation.
- Download it and read the directions. There should be directions about how to install and use it.
- If you wish to have the counter run on another machine (Highly recommended for novices).
- Go to the Software page and select a counter from the
"Hosted" section of the list.
- Follow the link to the site. You should find directions there about how to use the counter.
What is a hosted counter?
- A Hosted counter is when the counter software is actually running on a different
HTTP server from the one the HTML page which is being counted is on.
What is an HTTP server?
- This is the piece of software which responds to Netscape, Internet Explorer, or
any other Web browser. It responds by sending the HTML page to the user.
- If you don't know what this is, I highly recommend you use one of the Hosted counters.
[home - contents - FAQ - software]
Last modified: 22:18 - Pacific Standard Time - 27 Feb 99